8.14.2006

The Kite Runner

I just finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini last night. I've been glued to it for the past three days and its images have been in my mind when I'm not reading it. It is an amazing story on so many levels. The story is of two boys growing up in Afghanistan--one servant (Hassan) and one master (Amir)--who grew up like brothers. Hassan would do anything for his friend and ends up suffering unspeakably because of Amir's cowardice. The rest of the book is Amir's guilt and quest for redemption. In a word, this book is heartbreaking. Hassan is a pure Christ figure--servant and savior. Amir is the purely human figure--flawed, selfish and guilty. It is a story about loss and mistakes set brilliantly with the backdrop of a childhood in a stable Afghanistan which turned into a wartorn rubble just as the children's innocence disintegrated.

Of course, this is set in a Muslim context with Muslim issues permeating it--in fact the reason Amir is the master and Hassan is the servant is because of the strain of Islam their people practice. Though Allah is turned to a few times, Islam does not provide the redemption that Amir searches for. The book is so true to life in its images surrounding what Amir does with his guilt, trying to atone, trying to punish himself. Amir's mentor tells him that "redemption is when guilt turns to good" when he is trying to prompt Amir to face his demons and finally do the right thing. I thought about this a lot because I think it is the world's idea of redemption--turning the bad things you do into learning experiences and making up for them somehow. This is not a bad thing in itself, our mistakes should teach us, but when can our pennance ever be enough? Only through Christ can we truly be redeemed and guiltless.

Though the plot twists can be a bit implausible at times, this book is a must-read. Perhaps it was not the best choice post-partum as the story's poignant sadness was often overwhelming, but it is the best book I've read in a long time. Has anyone else read it? Anyone have any suggestions for my next read?

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger chaps said...

hi Rachel, wasn't this such a terrific book? Heart-wrenching! Writer really made me feel for these characters!!!! i loved it. glad you enjoyed it too. i just read Ravi Zacharias' auto-biography - it was excellent. it's called From East to West.

 
At 7:30 AM, August 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book about a year ago, and couldn't put it down.

 
At 4:36 AM, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

indeed, great summary for a good book. a totally different genre, but I just started "the heavenly man" (remember Ang talking about this one?) talk about miracles...

 
At 7:27 AM, September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this book too. I must say the pictures are forever etched in my head. I actually got depressed for days thinking about the reality of this book. For another non-christian fiction book I recommend "The Secret Life of Bees" By Sue Monk Kidd. Autobiography I highly recommend is "I Dared to call Him Father" by Bilquis Sheikh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home