8.03.2006

Generations

Here's a picture of Asher with his great-great grandma. She turned 100 this February so they are a century apart in age. Ella is my father's father's mother and is still living on her own, playing three card games a week. Bridger was pretty amazed by her and after a few minutes of asking her questions, he looked thoughtfully at her and said, "you have a tiny head". She just chuckled and we all tried to hold in the laughter. Believe it or not, Ella's not the oldest relative I've known. On my mother's side we've had several over 100. My great-great aunt Mabel died in 2000 at the ripe old age of 111. She was born in 1889, came across to Nebraska in a covered wagon and had lived in a sod house as a child. She then lived to see cars, planes, computers--even bought herself her first microwave at the age of 90. I'm not so sure I want to spend as many years on the earth as these ladies, but if I do, I hope I can pull it off as well as them.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Kira said...

WOW. 111, that is absolutely incredible. And Bridger is very very cute!

 
At 8:03 AM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how are those diapers?

 
At 4:33 AM, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy cow, rachel, 111? that little bridger, so cute. thanks for all these blogs. yes, update on diapers please. we are all wondering...

 
At 6:55 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Kim said...

Wow! I thought my 98-year old Great-grandmother was really cool (on Norma's side, her mother's mother) and that Irish blood was good stuff, but there must be something in that flat land out there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home