8.22.2006

Bum Genius? Part II

So, I promised an update on using cloth diapers. (You can check out my original post here) Now that Asher is 7 weeks old, I can honestly say that I am thrilled I made this choice. I can't deny that the greatest enjoyment is the lack of diaper transactions on my credit card! The Bum Genuis diapers are easy to use and I don't do a bit of toilet bending, dipping or scrubbing. The diapers run through a hot/cold cycle twice (only once with detergent) and then the terrycloth inserts go in the dryer while the outer shells hang dry. The hang-drying issue does require some thinking ahead because you need to have a few clean diapers for the lag time before the newly-washed diapers are ready to use. I originally bought 12 diapers, which I worked with for the first few weeks but ended up having to occasionally use a disposable because I couldn't keep up with the washing. I received three more as a gift and used 15 quite easily until just this week when I was given 6 more. With 15, I was still washing them every 36 hours or so (keep in mind this is a newborn who has to be changed every three hours). I'm looking forward to spreading things out a bit more now. I haven't had any problems with staining of the diapers either, though I suppose that gets worse with solids.

Asher hasn't had a bit of diaper rash and has had much fewer blowouts than I remember with Bridger. The diaper holds quite a lot of liquid with the fleece covering next to baby's skin staying dry, but at a certain point I know he feels wet. This is probably going to make for more diaper changes, even as he gets older, but it also will bring out the other benefit of cloth diapers which is early potty training.

9 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger chaps said...

this is outstanding feedback Rachel. Keep it up - i am a NOVICE! I will need to rely on you and Kyra for expertise! :)

 
At 6:24 AM, August 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is really cool. you sound all organized and such. i guess i'd consider it, but I need a working dryer first! hope you all are doing well. when will you be moving? or am I a little behind?

 
At 12:24 PM, August 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say I am intriged, but I still ave a slightly squeemish feeling about putting poop in a washing machine that I will be washing my own clothes in. Maybe it's ok for the watery stuff, but once he starts eating solids that don't completely digest, how is it going to work to have little pieces of leftover stuff on the inside of the washer, stuck to the walls, ready to stick to the next load of unsuspecting clothes?

 
At 10:06 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, are you referring to kira of kira and andy? does she have a blog? hi kira.

 
At 6:42 AM, September 07, 2006, Blogger chaps said...

rachel, did you order fleece or suedecloth lining?

 
At 9:25 AM, September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the plunge and bought a six pack. so far, I really like it. I noticed Isabel has less of a rash. I do end up changing her more frequently...probably because I am still unsure of how much they hold. If I do continue I think I think am going to invest in the Diaper Sprayer, which attachs to the back of the toilet. You can find it on cottonbabies.com under Diaper Accessories.

 
At 10:08 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger Kira said...

Hooray for bum Genuis diapers! I'm so glad that you and Heidi are using them. Laurel, you definitely should try them and see.

Heidi, I don't know if you've had a problem with using them with a solids-fed baby but for us, I know the only difference has been the smell getting trapped in the diaper cover. So after the first cycle I'll turn the covers inside out and then I have no problems.

Hi Allie!

-Kira

 
At 8:22 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger The Moser Family said...

Oh just stop it all right now! I'm still in pull-ups with my almost 4 year old at night and daytime naps. And a weekly "accident" to throw in there too. Oh to not have coin-operated laundry...
Anyone want to chime in on the benfits of a diaper service in the Glenside area??

 
At 3:39 PM, February 25, 2009, Blogger My Heaven on Earth said...

Your blog is awesome please check out mine as it relates to yours.
http://ecobabydiaper.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home