6.22.2006

Random thoughts

So, I'm less than a week from my due date and getting pretty ready for the whole thing to come to a conclusion. It's not that I'm too uncomfortable, but it just feels like life is a bit on hold. We have so much to do, but have come to a bit of a lull and it just would be convienent to have the baby soon (are you listening, God?).

We've run into several opportunities to have discussions about death with Bridger recently. We got him a beta fish the first week we were here and it died within a week. Then today on the way to check the mail (my parents have a long driveway) Bridger found a tiny baby bunny dead on the road. Thankfully it was not one that my brother or Ryan picked off with the 22 for eating my mom's plants. He was fascinated by it and, of course, every question is followed by at least three "why's" and it gets a little difficult after awhile to explain things.

Why isn't the bunny moving?
The bunny died.
Why?
God made the world so that people and animals die. (1st theological error here, God didn't exactly design it that way...)
Why are there flies around it?
That's another amazing thing that God created, some animals and insects eat dead animals so their flesh goes away. (this started out a good sentence, but then it just went downhill)
Why?
Well because it gives some animals food and then there's not dead animals all over the place.
Can I touch it?
No.
Why?
It's already started to decay and you're in the middle of your snack so your hands would get dirty.
Can I step on it?
No.
Why?
Well, because that's not a respectful thing to do (?)
Where are the bunny's mommy and daddy?

Okay, so you see how this begins to go. At some point I went into the difference between animals dying and people dying and stuck my foot in all kinds of theological errors. Seriously, I become a heritic explaining these things to a 2-year-old, but thankfully he doesn't seem to disturbed by death. According to my grandma, you get kids a dog to teach them about death. I guess living in the country will do you about the same!

3 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too funny!
Love the sand table!!

 
At 6:04 AM, July 03, 2006, Blogger The Moser Family said...

Mark and I always say that only the truly best of the best theologians are able to explain things to a two year old without stating heresy.
Don't you wish those conversations happened with their father instead of you? But what fun to read! :)

 
At 11:06 AM, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why we let our kids stay INSIDE and watch as many Donut Man and VeggieTales videos as they want!! :)

Timmy D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home